[darcs-users] darcs.cgi really ought to be called "viewdarcs"

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Sep 20 11:01:42 UTC 2004

I was just discussing darcs vs. svn with an svn maintainer, and I
mentioned the darcs.cgi script.  However, I just called it "viewdarcs",
because that was the easiest way to convey what the script does without
spending several words explaining it.  For concreteness, here is the
paragraph in which I used it:

> Now we're finally getting into the powerful features that arch offers
> as the reward for all this complexity.  The darcs equivalent of the
> above line would be to fetch one or more of the repositories onto your
> local computer first and then run "darcs annotate" or "darcs changes".
>  You could also use the "viewdarcs" cgi script to explore a single
> remote repository.

I considered editing this and changing it to

> Now we're finally getting into the powerful features that arch offers
> as the reward for all this complexity.  The darcs equivalent of the
> above line would be to fetch one or more of the repositories onto your
> local computer first and then run "darcs annotate" or "darcs changes".
>  You could also use the "darcs.cgi" script (equivalent to viewcvs and
> viewsvn) to explore a single remote repository.

but that would make the paragraph harder to read and would distract
from the main point.  I left it as is, calling the script "viewdarcs".
If my interlocutor ever actually tries to find that script, he'll have
to figure out that it is actually not called "viewdarcs".

Unless David and Will have changed its name to "viewdarcs" by then.  ;-)

Regards,

Zooko