[darcs-users] complaint: --look-for-adds should be the default (plus "rerecord" confused me)

zooko at zooko.com zooko at zooko.com
Fri Sep 24 18:01:25 UTC 2004

My manual synchronization between someone else's SVN repository and my darcs
repositories just got badly tangled up because I didn't notice that SVN had
added new files.  --look-for-adds should be the default, because it is the
default in CVS.  That is, darcs whatsnew should show something like "?
new/file/here", but not the entire contents of the file.

My error should have been fixable by unrecording and rerecording, except that
I misunderstood the semantics of "rerecord", thinking that it would rerecord
the most recently unrecorded patch!  After that, things were no longer fixable
and so now I'm into my third rebuild of a darcs repository mirroring this SVN
repository...

--Z

P.S.  I don't have any suggestion as to how to make rerecord safer or more
intuitive.  Oh, actually I do, but that will have to wait for another
message...