[darcs-users] add conflict avoidance idea... (need input)

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Sun Sep 26 21:42:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 05:37:23AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> I have an idea that would immediately make darcs more effective at
> resolving conflicts when files are added, but it carries a user interface
> cost, so I'd like to hear opinions on whether it would be a net
> improvement.
>
> It is much easier for darcs to handle conflicts in renames than conflicts
> in creations.  The reason is that by definition if two files are renamed to
> the same file, they started out with different names, and this breaks
> symmetry, allowing darcs to decide how to rename one of them to deal with
> the conflict.

Can you clarify: is this just a usability thing, or is there a deeper
issue?  If it usability, I don't see why you can't store the two "evil
twins" (ClearCase terminology) in temporary files and tell the user to
resolve them to the correct contents, then darcs add.  IOW, I don't see
why the current behavior (in which one of the files disappears) is not
simply a bug.

I personally don't like this hack unless there is a fundamental reason
it is needed.  I guess I'm curious on the exact reason that renames are
easier than adds.  Maybe you could walk through the ideal workflow for
the two cases.

Andrew