[darcs-users] proposal for whitespace annotation in darcs what

Ketil Malde ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no
Fri Apr 1 12:55:58 UTC 2005

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:

> On the other hand, perhaps if we marked the end of the line with a
> background-colored space, then plain spaces could be colored white (since
> we'd be able to see plain spaces at the end of the line), and we could
> colorize the tabs as you suggest (which has the major advantage of leaving
> them as actual tab characters), and I don't mind at all making '\r' look
> gaudy, since it most likely will be at the end of the line if it's
> present.

I like this.

> The question is how best to mark the '\n' at the end of each line.  I'm
> thinking a blue block of color might be a bit much, but a colorized dot or
> underscore might be confusing...

Would it be possible to only display it if the trailing whitespace is
modified?  This way, it wouldn't clutter the (majority of) cases where
whitespace isn't modified, but highlight the cases where you need to
know.

Anyway, I think I'd vote for an inverted space (solid block of
color), or perhaps inverted N.
In fact, couldn't you just use an inverted R for \r, inverted TAB for
TAB, and leave the spaces?  I suspect this will be more robust for
people who use odd color schemes (blue background, for instance).

-kzm