[darcs-users] [wish] string search while picking

Junio C Hamano junkio at cox.net
Sat Apr 2 16:59:08 UTC 2005

I often wish 'What now?' prompt for many darcs commands included
'look for an item that matches a string I am going to type'.

An example session with a version of darcs that does not exist
on my machine with the feature I wish:

   - In hunk selection interface of "darcs record", look for a
   hunk that have a given string as substring; skip to it
   without changing the action selection for the item currently
   being asked about. '/' goes forwards, '?' goes backwards:

    $ darcs record --ask-deps
    hunk ./file 2
    -primero change
    +first change
    Shall I record this patch? (1/350) [ynWsfqadjk/?], or h for help: /
    Enter a string to look for (going forward): import
    hunk ./file 230
    -note so important line
    +not so important line
    Shall I record this patch? (224/350) [ynWsfqadjk/?], or h for help: y
    hunk ./file 231
    +some other change
    Shall I record this patch? (225/350) [ynWsfqadjk/?], or h for help: ?
    Enter a string to look for (going backward): primero
    hunk ./file 2
    -primero change
    +first change
    Shall I record this patch? (1/350) [ynWsfqadjk/?], or h for help:

   - In patch selection interface of "darcs record --ask-deps",
   look for a patch that have a given string as substring of its
   name or comments; skip to it without changing the action
   selection for the item currently being asked about. '/' goes
   forwards, '?' goes backwards:

    Sat Apr  2 08:55:05 PST 2005  junkio
      * foo
    Shall I depend on this patch? (1/320) [ynWvxqadjk/?], or h for help: /
    Enter a string to look for (going forward): tripe ration

    Fri Apr  1 12:30:59 PST 2004  junkio
      * Double weight of tripe ration to balance the game difficulty
    Shall I depend on this patch? (223/320) [ynWvxqadjk], or ? for help: y