[darcs-users] Re: grouping of commands in darcs -h

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Apr 2 22:26:19 UTC 2005

On 2005-04-02, Peter Hercek <peter at syncad.com> wrote:
> Changing and quering the working copy:
>    add           Add one or more new files or directories.
>    remove        Remove one or more files or directories from the repository.
>    mv            Move/rename one or more files or directories.
>    replace       Replace a token with a new value for that token.
>    revert        Revert to the recorded version (safe the first time only).
>    unrevert      Undo the last revert (may fail if changes after the revert).
>    whatsnew      Display unrecorded changes in the working copy.
> Copying changes between the working copy and the repository:
>    record        Save changes in the working copy to the repository as a patch.
>    unrecord      Remove recorded patches without changing the working copy.
>    amend-record  Replace a recorded patch with a better version.
>    resolve       Mark any conflicts to the working copy for manual resolution.
> Direct modification of the repository:
>    tag           Tag the contents of the repository with a version name.
>    setpref       Set a value for a preference (test, predist, ...).
>    rollback      Record an inverse patch without changing the working directory.
> Querying the repository:
>    diff          Create a diff between two versions of the repository.
>    changes       Gives a changelog style summary of the repo history.
>    annotate      Display which patch last modified something.
>    dist          Create a distribution tarball.
>    trackdown     Locate the most recent version lacking an error.
> Copying patches between repositories with working copy update:
>    pull          Copy and apply patches from another repository to this one.
>    unpull        Opposite of pull; unsafe if the patch is not in remote repo.
>    push          Copy and apply patches from this repository to another one.
>    send          Send by email a bundle of one or more patches.
>    apply         Apply patches (from an email bundle) to the repository.
>    get           Create a local copy of another repository.
>    put           Makes a copy of the repository
> Administrating repositories:
>    initialize    Initialize a new source tree as a darcs repository.
>    optimize      Optimize the repository.
>    check         Check the repository for consistency.
>    repair        Repair the corrupted repository.

I would like to see a blank line before each section to make it easier
to read.

For constrast, here are how the commands are grouped in the manual. Surely
one must be "better". I'll let someone else decided which it is. Once
the decision is made, let's make them consistent.

# Creating repositories
    * darcs initialize
    * darcs get

# Modifying the contents of a repo
    * darcs add
    * darcs remove
    * darcs mv
    * darcs replace

# Working with changes
    * darcs record
    * darcs pull
    * darcs push
    * darcs send
    * darcs apply

# Seeing what you've done
    * darcs whatsnew
    * darcs changes

# More advanced commands
    * darcs tag
    * darcs setpref
    * darcs check
    * darcs optimize

# Undoing, redoing and running in circles
    * darcs amend-record
    * darcs rollback
    * darcs unrecord
    * darcs unpull
    * darcs revert
    * darcs unrevert

# Advanced examination of the repository
    * darcs diff
    * darcs annotate

# Rarely needed and obscure commands
    * darcs resolve