[darcs-users] Re: patch numbers and annotate and diff etc.

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Apr 2 23:02:49 UTC 2005

On 2005-04-02, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:

> The upward counting one is nice in many ways, but it's a bit more of a pain
> to implement (since you'd need to store the numbers when you unpull).

Isn't it true that darcs doesn't "really delete" any patches right now?
It would seem that this could be used to our advantage with this
feature.  Instead of "really deleting" these files, they could be set
have a zero size.

> When
> I'm not using annotate, I'd probably prefer the smaller numbers provided by
> the backwards-counting scheme--I'd rather unpull the third-to-last patch
> with a 3 than a 2136.  Also, I particularly like the simplicity of the
> documentation which the backwards-counting scheme would allow.
>
> In principle, we could support both, but that seems a bit silly.

Maybe not. Perhaps it could be done simply by having 2136 by the normal
number which is displayed most everywhere and "-3" would indicate, you
guessed it, the third patch ago, which might be left as an exercise to
the reader to count on their own. (A hidden power feature!)

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/