[darcs-users] Re: grouping of commands in darcs -h

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Sun Apr 3 08:36:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 10:18:09AM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sunday 03 April 2005 00:26, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > For constrast, here are how the commands are grouped in the manual.
> > Surely one must be "better". I'll let someone else decided which it is.
> > Once the decision is made, let's make them consistent.
>
> I'm not so sure that one must be better; the usage is quite different.
> In the case of the commandline you search for a way to do things and in the
> case of the manual the user will read through the items one by one.

I search through the manual for a way to do things all the time.

Looking at the manual, the "Darcs commands" section is layed out as
a reference, not as prose to be read straight through, and contains lots
of information that a user does not need to immediately know.  I doubt most
folks read that section straight through.  For example... do I really need
to know the details of "darcs replace" before I learn about "darcs record"?

"Getting started" is what I would expect a user to read completely through
and its layed out for that.