[darcs-users] patch numbers and annotate and diff etc.

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Apr 3 08:37:45 UTC 2005

On Sunday 03 April 2005 00:02, David Roundy wrote:
> One possibility is a mostly-globally-unique string, which could either be
> a short hash or a hex time.  This has the advantage of being
> mostly-globally-unique, but suffers from a tradeoff between uniqueness
> and rememberability.  I tend not to favor this idea.

The fact that patchnumbers change on each 'pull'/'apply'/'optimize'/
'record'/'rollback'/'unpull'/'unrecord'/others?
just makes me feel this is going to confuse people.

> The simplest way is to simply count backwards, so the most recent patch is
> 1, and so on.  This has the advantage of making the patches you're likely
> to refer to have the smallest rather than the largest numbers.

I'm glad that this solution will likely not cause people to mistake these
numbers with the version numbers cvs/svn etc have, since that really
worried me.

I can live with this :)
--
Thomas Zander