[darcs-users] Re: colour output/libcurses on windows(TM)

Peter Hercek peter at syncad.com
Sun Apr 3 13:18:13 UTC 2005

Csaba Henk wrote:
> On 2005-04-02, Stefan Rank <e9725431 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
>>hi
>>
>>with all the talk about colour output going on,
>>i was wondering if somebody managed to get colourised darcs output on
>>the windows platform?
>>(strangely enough i did not notice the difference when switching between
>>  lin and win until now...)
>>
>>as far as i understand, darcs uses libcurses, and it checks the
>>environment variable TERM to decide if colour output is acceptable.
>>
>>the windows binaries (generously provided by glozer.net) are not linked
>>against libcurses.
>>did anybody succeed in compiling darcs for windows including curses?
>

> There is pdcurses for (non cyg-)windows. I haven't yet compiled anything against
> it, but my guess would be that it would be possible to link against
> that. Well, it might depend on GHC as well... dunno.
>
> But using a curses-type lib is maybe an overkill... the Windows console
> has it's api for changing colors.

Does the Window console API use some ANSI encoding for colors?
As far as I know one must have ansi.sys to get this working and
  ansi.sys is not provided with all windows by default (at least
  it is not on mine).

I tried something:
* you cannot link against cygwing curses since they depend on cygwin runtime
* (at least before configuration) pdcurses do not containg term.h which is
   being checked by configure