[darcs-users] now is a little too late for a darcs version of the Linux kernel

Tupshin Harper tupshin at tupshin.com
Wed Apr 6 13:43:53 UTC 2005

zooko at zooko.com wrote:

>BitMover is ceasing support and gratis licenses for the kernel hackers:

And there was much rejoicing. :)

>http://kerneltrap.org/node/4966
>
>Unfortunately darcs (which is mentioned in the above article) isn't ready for
>the kernel yet.  I predict that kernel development will now move to one of "the
>archies" -- tla, bazaar, or arx.

Darcs certainly isn't ready (performance wise), but if kernel
development really does move to an open source SCM, then darcs and all
of it's brethren will be winners since it will become feasible to have
bi-directional gateways between arch/darcs/etc. kernel trees (something
that wasn't possible with bk due to the incomplete patch information
made available). This can only result in more rapid development and
allow kernel developers to ultimately use the tools of their own
choosing to maintain their trees.

-Tupshin