[darcs-users] now is a little too late for a darcs version of the Linux kernel

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Apr 6 21:42:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:41:30AM -0300, zooko at zooko.com wrote:
> BitMover is ceasing support and gratis licenses for the kernel hackers:

That's really disappointing to hear.  Lemme explain.  Set the Wayback Machine
to April 1997, North Carolina, the Linux Expo.  The .com boom is in full
swing.  Businesses are starting to take Linux and BSD seriously.  Mandrake
and Rasterman show off this new thing called GTK.  Stallman is walking around
in a robe with a hard disk platter on his head doing his St. IGNUcius bit.
Alan Cox is creating kernel fork after fork to wedge in new features.  And
everyone's worried about Linus being overworked.

And here I am sent to my first conference by my first full time job.  I
meet a guy named Larry McVoy outside on the lawn and he's got a great idea
to help Linus handle the job of fielding kernel patches.  BitKeeper.  This
was at a time when it was use CVS or shell out money.  I might still have
his card around here somewhere.

I didn't understand most of what he was saying, but he certainly was all
enthused about the idea.  Its just very disappointing having stood there at
the beginning and then watch it degrade over time.