[darcs-users] solution to the "slow get" problem?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Thu Apr 7 22:57:52 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 22:05, VMiklos wrote:
> VMiklos wrote:
> > how would you let apache or any ftp server to create a tarball of
> > the repo?
>
> to be a little bit more constructive, i would think darcs get could
> simply get all files recursively instead of getting each patch and
> apply them locally

When I looked at the problem, the biggest slowdown was opening a new
connection for each patch (each patch is stored in an individual file).
If you want to make things fast, then I would start with transferring
all patches consecutively instead of separately.  (I don't know how
http currently transfers files; with scp, it used to be the case that
they are all transferred separately.)

Given current network speeds, and given a large amount of main memory,
applying patches locally might not be that much slower that
transferring a working directory.

One could store tarred, gzipped snapshots of the working directory in a
repository upon user request and have "darcs get" look for these.

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/