[darcs-users] solution to the "slow get" problem?

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.info
Fri Apr 8 05:57:25 UTC 2005

On 20050407T192937-0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   My understanding is that there's a "pipelining" feature in http that allows
> you to hold a connection open for transferring more files (apt uses this, for
> instance).  eg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_pipelining

The HTTP/1.1 default is keeping the connection open; pipelining is
separate from that, though pipelining is necessary to get best
performance out of that feature (to remove unnecessary roundtrip waits).
(Pipelining is the license to send requests while a previous response is
not complete yet.)

Last I looked, darcs did all the right things with libcurl to keep the
connection open.  It is hard to directly observe the HTTP connection,
sadly, to verify that the connection is really open, so I don't have any
hard evidence of whether it really does keep the connection open or not.
Didn't look at pipelining, either.
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho                  http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.info/

		Blogi - http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/