[darcs-users] List of files? `darcs replace` files?

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Apr 8 15:24:45 UTC 2005

Thanks for your reply:

[Jamie Webb <j at jmawebb.cjb.net>, Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:29:24 +0100]:
> > - Also, `darcs replace` seems to require an explicit list of file
> >   names.  Wouldn't it be more natural to make the replacement in all
> >   files that have been added to the repository if no files have been
> >   given?  This would be more consistent with, e.g., `darcs whatsnew`
> >   or `darcs record` that work on all added files by default.
>
> I think that's pretty rarely what's wanted. More likely you want, e.g.
> all files with a certain extension, so something along the lines of:
>
> find src -name '*.cc' | xargs darcs replace foo bar

In my case, that is almost guaranteed to be always what I want.  But
from your example I can see that people working on something different
may have other needs and preferences.

Still, the case you mention would work exactly the same if `darcs
replace` as you provide exactly the files that you want to be
affected.

The question is really what it means if no file is given explicitly:
Currently this seems to indicate some replacement that is not to
affect a single file.  Is that useful?  At least it would seem
desirable to get a message warning about that replacement having no
effect, and suggesting listing the files explicitly.

Regards,

Albert.