[darcs-users] solution to the "slow get" problem?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Fri Apr 8 23:09:00 UTC 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 12:13, you wrote:
> Even if you get all patches consecutively in a single connection, if
> you do it synchronously, you'll pay round-trip time on each patch. So
> I have 150ms average round-trip time from me to www.darcs.net, I have
> to wait at least about 150ms x number of patches.
>
> One solution is to fetch patches in parallel on multiple connections.

With sftp (i.e., with ssh access), darcs pipelines the requests for the
patches to sftp; I don't know whether sftp itself is smart enough to
pipeline the requests over the net, or whether it serialises the
requests.

With wget (i.e., with http access if libcurl is not installed), darcs
also pipelines the requests.  I again don't know how smart wget is
about pipelining the requests over the net.

In the other cases (e.g. http with libcurl), darcs seems to serialise
the requests, except if an environment variable DARCS_MGET is set, in
which case this command is used, and the environment variable
DARCS_MGETMAX determines how many requests to pipeline (defaulting to
5).

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/