[darcs-users] Re: Fail: createDirectory: does not exist (No such file or directory)

Nimrod A. Abing nimrod.abing at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 03:58:52 UTC 2005

On Apr 10, 2005 9:36 PM, Benedikt Schmidt <ry102 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> Ketil Malde <ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no> writes:
>
> > "Nimrod A. Abing" <nimrod.abing at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> And from the looks of things, I will be stuck with ghc-6.2.x even if I
> >> upgrade my Ubuntu to version 5.04 :(
> >
> > GHC-6.4 compiles out of the box on Ubuntu.  It takes a while, but
> > worked nicely, at least for me.
> >
> > (I have annoying performance problems with Ubuntu, though.)
>
> Binaries from
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.4/ghc-6.4-i386-unknown-linux.tar.bz2
> work fine too.

That's what I used to build the SuSE 9.1 RPMS. FWIW I *could* try to
build darcs with those, but that will introduce a dependency that
cannot be satisfied normally through the Debian packaging system. It
sort of defeats the purpose and reason why I switched to Ubuntu in the
first place. I *could* try and build ghc-6.4 from source using the
debian build system and install the resulting debs but the last time I
built ghc 6.4 from source it took nearly 6 hours to finish (this was
when I was using Gentoo). Then it took another 30 minutes to build
darcs debs from source.

Given that, I would rather spend those 6 hours and 30 minutes trying
to figure out what is the cause of all this. But from the looks of
things, it seems to be GHC related. It wouldn't hurt to try and
investigate though, so I'll be looking into it later this evening.

I have only one test case that can reproduce this behavior, namely the
repository of wine sources the I maintain for myself. But it takes up
to 5 minutes to "complete" the operation which results in the error.
That is so counter-productive. If someone here has a smaller testcase
that reproduces this behavior, please point me to where I can get
them.

Ketil, can you please elaborate on the "annoying performance problems
with Ubuntu" that you are having? And what version of Ubuntu are you
using? Thanks.
--
_nimrod_a_abing_

v1sw5CPJYUhw5ln3pr8OUSck6ma8u7LBw3DWNTm5g/l7DaIs7Rr4e6t5Xb4Op1en3g5RZAHC