[darcs-users] Re: Darcs and fully disconnected repositories

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Apr 15 16:22:03 UTC 2005

Marcus Brito wrote:
>>"These context files needs to be distributed over the group, and every time
>>someone applies a patch from someone else, they need to send out a new,
>>updated, context file.
>

> My idea was that darcs itself would keep track of sending changes, and
> automatically update the "context" information I have about other
> repos. Of course, If other people apply changes from other sources, it
> might still be nice to share the new context info once in a while. I
> shouldn't, however, need a new context file just because the other
> user applied a patch that came from me to start with.
>
> If this single change would be implemented (update the context to
> include the patch I just sent), then darcs would fit the scenario I
> described, that's great news :-)

Darcs inherently doesn't keep the context information about any remote
information.  It doesn't really need to in most cases.  In some cases,
if it _did_ it would be tracking a *large* amount of context
information, some of which would change quite often.  To keep track of
other repo contexts in situations like this the belief is it should be
left to workflow tools that "know more" about your necessary workflow
for your task and can optimize which contexts to store, how often they
need to be updated, and where to update them from.

What is really needed in darcs are useful hooks, which have been
discussed and should hopefully be in preparation.  In this particular
case you might want a pre-send hook (to pull the proper context from
your context system) and a post-apply hook (to post the new context to
whereever the other repos can get from).

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/