[darcs-users] Re: Darcs API?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sun Apr 17 13:32:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 02:32:07PM +0100, Jamie Webb wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 08:59:03AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > Not quite.  Many of those people contributed very few patches, many of
> > which were documentation patches.  Those patches are greatly
> > appreciated, but many of them could be excised from the darcs codebase,
> > or may only apply to files like darcs.lhs that wouldn't even be
> > involved in a darcs API.
>
> Also, I think I've heard it suggested that people who only contribute
> 2-line bugfixes and the like don't count for the purposes of copyright,
> since their contribution is more like an idea or statement of fact than a
> creative work.

True, you can't copyright an idea, only an expression of an idea.  So (I
believe) if there's only one expression of an idea, then it can't be
copyrighted.  Which would mean (I think) that spelling fixes wouldn't be
copyrightable.

But changing the license would definitely require a very careful review,
and perhaps a lawyer.
http://www.darcs.net