[darcs-users] Re: Darcs API?

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.info
Sun Apr 17 16:22:31 UTC 2005

My apologies to the rest of the list for this off-topic refutation of a
false statement.

On 20050417T170218+0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > Actually, you are only obliged to provide sources to those who get
> > object code from you.
>
> Not true.

It is true, and you just proved it:

> If you're distributing under 3(a) then you are shipping the
> source with the binaries so you need provide the source separately to no
> one.

You have the option to use 3(a), in which case you must provide source
to those who get object code from you.

> If you're using 3(b) then you must provide the source to "any
> third party" that comes asking.  They need not prove ownership of the
> binaries, for example.

This is true for 3(b), but it is your choice whether you apply 3(b) or
3(a).  (In special cases, you can also apply 3(c).)

Hence: you are only obliged to provide source to those who get object
code from you, which was what I said.  You can, at your option, to give
them a promise to give them (and also any third party, as you correctly
noted) the source later, but that does not change the fact that you are
obliged to provide source to those who have got binaries from you.

If one were to split hairs, one could refute my statement based on the
fact that the obligation to provide source in 3(b) is only potential: if
nobody asks within three years, you are off the hook.  But my hairs
split themselves just fine, I don't need to do it for them.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho                  http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.info/

		Blogi - http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/
                 Toys - http://www.cc.jyu.fi/yhd/toys/