[darcs-users] darcs is very slow for bigger projects

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Apr 19 09:14:17 UTC 2005

> I just want to put a bigger project under version control with
> darcs. I'm  afraid it will take forever to record the first
> patches... Now darcs is  working for over 14 hours (!) and it isn't
> ready yet. Darcs uses a lot of  memory (366 MB physical + 400 MB
> virtual).

If your source tree is large, you should split the initial patches --
for example, import every directory of your project as a separate
patch.

> It is a project with  9535 patches.

What do you mean?  If you're just importing the project, there should
be only one patch called ``initial import''.

Could you please clarify?

> If it took the same time to record additional patches, darcs is
> unusable for me.

No, it's the initial import that's expensive.

                                        Juliusz