[darcs-users] darcs is very slow for bigger projects

Andreas Känner a.kaenner at meilenstein.de
Tue Apr 19 09:22:24 UTC 2005

Am Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:14:17 +0200 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek
<Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr>:

>> I just want to put a bigger project under version control with
>> darcs. I'm  afraid it will take forever to record the first
>> patches... Now darcs is  working for over 14 hours (!) and it isn't
>> ready yet. Darcs uses a lot of  memory (366 MB physical + 400 MB
>> virtual).
>
> If your source tree is large, you should split the initial patches --
> for example, import every directory of your project as a separate
> patch.
>
>> It is a project with  9535 patches.
>
> What do you mean?  If you're just importing the project, there should
> be only one patch called ``initial import''.
>
> Could you please clarify?

of course. I have switched to the working directory:

$ cd project

then I have initialized a new darcs project:

$ darcs init

added my project files:

$ darcs add -r *

and recorded it:

$ darcs record

After a few hours darcs asked me if I really want to import 9535 patches
and I have pressed 'a' to automatically import all patches.

Maybe that is the wrong command sequence?

--
Andreas