[darcs-users] Some Darcs Annoyances

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Apr 25 03:01:44 UTC 2005

Before I start on my list, I want to be sure to point out two things.
First, I've recently converted all my Arch and Subversion repositories
to Darcs, so know that I am a Darcs fan.  Secondly, the reasons I
mention these are to 1) find out if there are known fixes or
workarounds, 2) see if they're on anybody's radar to fix.

Now then, on to the list:

1) Well-known problem of merging with conflicts taking huge amounts of
time.  I notice a darcs-unstable and darcs-conflict repository on
David's site; are there fixes for this in either place?  With
--external-merge help out in any way?

2) Dependency checking being over-aggressive.  For instance, I wanted
to darcs rollback an old patch yesterday, but it wouldn't let me,
complaining about dependencies.  Even though I could darcs diff it,
and patch -R worked perfectly.  Couldn't I have something like
--ignore-deps and proceed?

3) Confusing handling of rollback "undo" patches.  Once I accidentally
rolled back a tag.  It seemd to then have two tag patches.  Also, I
can't rollback an UNDO.  One time I had rolled back a patch that I
later decided I wanted after all.  There was no option to do that.

4) No way to say "consider this patch present".  Perhaps something got
merged in outside of darcs awhile back, and now we want to sync up
with someone else's tree.  Difficult to do without this feature,
especially given the conflict resolution problems.

Thanks,
John