[darcs-users] Re: Some Darcs Annoyances

Jamie Webb j at jmawebb.cjb.net
Mon Apr 25 15:23:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 02:54:03PM +0000, John Goerzen wrote:
> I can see a way to *add* dependencies when recording, but not a way to
> *remove* them.  Am I missing something?  Why would it assume that
> changes to two different files would necessarily depend on each other?

Darcs only decides that two changes are dependent if they are
necessarily dependent, i.e. one patch requires the other as context
in order to be meaningful. Thus there is no way to remove a
dependency. I've sometimes thought that it would be useful to be able
to force darcs to commute a pair of patches even if doing so would
introduce conflicts, but that's not likely to happen soon I think.

So, back to your question, most likely if you examine the patches in
question closely using 'darcs annotate -p', you will find that they
are in fact dependent, e.g. one creates a directory that the other
adds a file in. Bear in mind that dependencies are transitive, so
there might be a third patch in the middle which is actually the
problem. If you're sure there's nothing, you might want to make your
repo available for inspection. If we can't find it either, you've
found a bug.

-- Jamie Webb