[darcs-users] Announcing darcs 1.0.3rc1

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:41:11 UTC 2005

Hello darcs users and developers!

First let me explain why you get this announcement from me.
At David's request, I (Tomasz Zielonka) have taken over maintainership
of the darcs stable branch, and Ian Lynagh has taken charge of the
darcs-unstable tree. This will allow David to spend more of his time
focusing on the new conflict-handling code. For the curious, a new
mailing list (http://darcs.net/mailman/listinfo/darcs-conflicts) has
been created for discussion of the new conflict-handling algorithms.

Now let's get back to the subject of this message...

I am pleased to announce the availability of the first darcs 1.0.3
release candidate.

  http://www.darcs.net/

Since our last formal release, there has been a surge of interest in
darcs, which has been reflected in the steady flow of patch submissions,
bug reports and group discussion. Thanks to all of our many
contributors!

One of the most visible changes from 1.0.2 is the new colorization and
escaping of printed patches, implemented by Tommy Pettersson. It can
protect from maliciously inserted special characters and will show
trailing spaces. Fine-grained customisation is possible through use of
environment variables.

The other nice new feature, also implemented by Tommy, is the enhanced
interface for unrecord and unpull, similar to that in pull. It allows to
unrecord/unpull several patches at once, taking dependencies into
account.

Benedikt Schmidt improved the add command to automatically add all
parent directories of the added file. He also added --sendmail-command
option to 'send' - it allows the user to send patch bundles with a
program of his/her own choice.

Karel Gardas implemented an often requested change to whatsnew, namely
that --look-for-adds implies --summary.

A number of bugs have been fixed since the previous release, most
notably the mysterious "createDirectory bug" or the bug that made darcs
insist that there is a conflict when there was none.

More than ten people contributed to darcs' test suite. Apart from adding
and improving tests there was much work on improving the darcs testing
framework by Mark Stosberg, Michael Schwern and Tommy Pettersson.

This version of darcs can be compiled with GHC 6.2.2 or with the
recently released GHC 6.4.

For more details see the ChangeLog or, if you are more curious, the
output of "darcs changes --from-tag 1.0.2".

There is much exciting development happening in the unstable darcs
branch which won't make it into darcs 1.0.3. Josef Svenningsson
implemented a 'put' command. Benedikt Schmidt implemented a faster
diffing algorithm. David Roundy and Ian Lynagh are working hard on
speeding up darcs and they have very promising results.

As I said, we won't put these improvements into 1.0.3 and until the
final release we'll only add bugfixes, etc. But don't worry, we plan to
release the next version of darcs with all this good stuff soon
afterwards.

Best regards
Tomasz