[darcs-users] Using Tailor to SVN->darcs

Jonathon Mah me at JonathonMah.com
Thu Apr 28 04:21:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just tried to convert a small Subversion repository of mine to darcs,
using the tailor.py script. The current working copy is 750KB, and the
repo has 39 revisions. I've looked at the examples in the Tailor README
and the Wiki, as well as past mailing list stuff, but I just can't get
it to work. I'm trying to import what I had in Subversion while
maintaining history.

I can't figure out how to convert the SVN repo into a darcs repo
without having it in a subdirectory.
I tried a very large number of variations on the following:
$ svn co -r1 file:///myrepos/myproj/trunk proj
$ cd proj
$ tailor.py -D -v -b -s svn -t darcs -R file:///myrepos/ -m
/myproj/trunk --subdir .
LANG= svn info . .......... [Ok]
darcs initialize  [Ok]
darcs add --case-ok --recursive --quiet '.'  [Ok]
darcs record --all --pipe '.'
darcs failed:  None of the files you specified exist!
.. [Error 512]
Failure applying upstream changes: 'darcs record' returned status 512

OK, so I'll settle for having it in a subdirectory:

$ cd ..
$ mkdir darcs-proj
$ mv proj darcs-proj
$ cd darcs-proj
$ tailor.py -D -v -b -s svn -t darcs -R file:///myrepos/ -m
/myproj/trunk --subdir proj
LANG= svn info . .......... [Ok]
darcs initialize  [Ok]
darcs add --case-ok --recursive --quiet 'proj'  [Ok]
darcs record --all --pipe 'proj' .... [Ok]
$ ls
_darcs/         proj/           tailor.info     tailor.log

So it seems a bit unnecessary to have the project in a subdirectory of
the darcs repository. But anyway, after this I try to bring it up to
date with the current version (i.e. transfer the history):

$ pwd
/Users/jonathon/darcs-proj
$ tailor.py --update
$ darcs whatsnew -sl
a ./proj/movedfile1
a ./proj/movedstuff/
a ./proj/movedstuff/movedfile2
a ./proj/addedfile

That is, files that were added or "moved" (copy-deleted) in the
Subversion repo are not added in the darcs repo. Also, newlines in log
messages don't consistently work. Sometimes there are two newlines
where there should be one, and sometimes there are none.

I've tried many variations of the commands written here.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is tailor.py out of order?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jonathon Mah
me at JonathonMah.com