[darcs-users] A mockup of an improved 'darcs -h'

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Apr 28 09:35:14 UTC 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 04:07, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Below is an proposed re-organization of "darcs -h". It has the following
> advantages over the current design:
>
> 1. Groups commands according to the objects they usually work on.

The current one already does that.

> 2. Fits the summary into a much smaller number lines.

By leaving out information.  I really think that information is needed for
the beginning user to avoid a lot of 'darcs foo --help' style queries.
Remember that thread where we recently agreed on the new structure?  I noted
that the findability of a command has the highest priority.  Your change
just made that lots worse.

> 3. Removes the "--extended-help" option, which looked like the beginning
>  of an online manual :).

Which is bad, why?

>  That content is more usefully accessed through
> "darcs subcommand -h".
You again forget to target findability.

I find it a bit sad that less then a month after we decided upon the current
strucuture there is a new proposal :(
--
Thomas Zander