[darcs-users] newbie question about 'darcs send'

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Fri Apr 29 10:27:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:28:20AM +0300, Adrian Maier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing a program and i am using darcs for managing it. I have
> one repository home and another repository at work.  I am currently
> synchronising the 2 repositories manually :
> - clean the source tree with 'apt clean'
> - I record the changes
> - use 'tar -xzvf '  to compress the entire repository and copy the
>   archive to a usb memory stick
>
> This works for me because i'm the only developer and the archive
> is small  (about 40 kilobytes).   But,  I have the feeling that this is not
> the right way to take changes from one place to another...
>
> I would like to be able to :
> -1- make some modifications
> -2- darcs record    (let's say that i name the change 'v10'   )
> -3- (somehow)  obtain a file which contain the modifications
>       called  'v10'
> -4- copy that file on the memory stick and take it home with me
> -5- (somehow) apply the 'v10'  on the other repository
>
> I have seen the commands 'darcs send'  and 'darcs apply',  but
> I didn't manage to use them .
>
> Here's what i've tried:
>  darcs record        (  the change 'v10' is recorded successfully )
>  darcs send -o patch_v10
> It said:
> Creating patch to /home/am/clienti_waba/ClientiWaba/...
> No recorded local changes to send!
>
> It is totally unclear to me how can I specify which changes
> I want included in the patch .   And what does that warning
> message mean ?
>
> If someone knows how does 'darcs send' work , please enlighten !

I guess the failure here is the fact that send is trying to figure out
what shall be sent based on the difference between your current
repository and the "remote" repository that you shall specify on the
command line. In your case you can't access your remote repository
because it is in the office while you are at home.

Unfortunately I don't know the way, how to tell darcs to trust the user
input and create bundle using patches that user specified.

Silly idea. You may have 2 repositories at home and 2 at work. Then you
can do your changes, use send to create the patchfile comparing against
second directory, apply the changes to the second directory, take the
file to work and apply it to both repositories there. Hm. I feel like
simple carrying around the whole repository is more justified in your
case :)