[darcs-users] Access control

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Fri Apr 29 18:32:03 UTC 2005

Hi,

we (numrel.aei.mpg.de) have many cooperations with other institutions
and people, and we currently use a hack built out of CVS, pserver, and
AFS to manage who has access to what repository, of which we have many.
This does the job, but it turns out to be a nightmare to administer.
On top of that, CVS uses the pserver protocol which is not really
secure.

What access control mechanism do you use for your repositories?  How do
you administer this?

For darcs, I know that you can use gpg-signed emails for fine grained
write access control.  Http provides neat world-wide read access, but
how would you handle repositories that should not be available to
everybody?  We currently use ssh-based access control for a project
that is managed through darcs (www.carpetcode.org), but this does not
differentiate between read and write access.

The features that we are looking for are:

1. Works for many repositories, not just one or three

2. Not only write but also read access can be controlled

3. Should be easy to administer, possibly by the project leader without
help from an expert

4. Should be easy to use for the end user (we're currently already
fighting an uphill battle for making people switch both from CVS to
darcs and from pserver passwords to ssh keys at the same time; people
have inertia)

Are we the only institution with such a problem?

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/