[darcs-users] Re: [darcs #37] How do I make "unexportable" patches?

Nimrod A. Abing nimrod.abing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 01:19:05 UTC 2005

On 7/31/05, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 07:59:57PM +0000, Nimrod A. Abing wrote:
> >
> > Is there some way that I could have "marked" those rejected patches as
> > "unexportable" so that subsequent pulls would no longer prompt me if I
> > want to apply those patches? Is this feature implemented? If not then
> > I suggest these new features:
>
> This is bug #37, and your idea is basically what I had in mind (ever so
> long ago).  It was discussed long, long ago, which is probably why you had
> trouble finding it on the lists.  It would be a good thing, but isn't very
> high priority for me.

Good to know that this feature has already been considered. I really
hope someone would take the challenge of implementing this someday. I
am trying to learn Haskell "one concept at a time" but I am stuck with
the traditional mentality of programming and have trouble wrapping my
head around some of the concepts of FP.

> > First one is a new option to darcs pull prompt. Example prompt:
> >
> > Shall I pull this patch? (1/18) [yniWvpxqadjk], or ? for help:
> > How to use pull...
> > y: pull this patch
> > n: don't pull it
> > i: ignore this patch in future pulls <---- new option
>
> I think I'd make this
>
> i: ignore this patch in the future
>
> since I'd rather have just one ignore list, which applies to pushes, pulls,
> sends, unpulls, etc.

Exactly. I had it say "future pulls" because that's where I thought
this feature would be most useful.

> > Once you mark the patch as ignored, it will no longer be prompted to
> > you the next time you pull from the same repository. You can also
> > supply an option --show-ignored-patches to the pull command if you
> > want to be prompted again. The ignored patches could be tracked in
> > _darcs/patches/ignored
>
> I'd rather track them in _darcs/prefs/ignored_patches, since that's a
> user-modifiable directory.

That'd work well too, considering it would also be nice to have GUI
support for adding and removing ignored patches.
--
_nimrod_a_abing_

v1sw5CPJYUhw5ln3pr8OUSck6ma8u7LBw3DWNTm5g/l7DaIs7Rr4e6t5Xb4Op1en3g5RZAHC