[darcs-users] [darcs #473] A suggestion for the "unpull" command

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 2 14:01:44 UTC 2005

[Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>, Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:09:57 +0200]:
> I'd prefer a safe copy within the repository.  It's fast and doesn't
> take much space.  If it is stored in the "darcs send -o" format, then
> people can access it using normal shell tools.

Personally, I'd prefer an optional copy under ~/.darcs/stray-paches :
That way

- all the unpulled patches end up in a single place,

- they don't pollute the repo (which is what unpull is designed to
  do),

- and it is easy to automatically clean up things.

  E.g., it is more convenient to have a cron job purge
  ~/.darcs/stray-paches of files that have not been touched in a long
  time (and should probably really go away eventually) than to hunt
  down all repos and purge those.  Especially as moving a repo from
  one place to another is as simple as `cp -r' (which updates the
  timestamps any such purging might want to rely on).

In general, vanishing ~/.darcs/... directories are also less likely to
happen than repos that get moved, deleted, etc..

Albert.