[darcs-users] what nice lines are suggested in this conflict!

zooko at zooko.com zooko at zooko.com
Fri Aug 5 13:08:26 UTC 2005

Interestingly, the very same experiment done with lines of text instead of
filenames gives what I consider to be the right answer!  So I regard this as an
incomplete part or a bug in darcs handling of conflicts that involve file name,
location, and add/delete.

Regards,

Zooko

$ mkdir 1
$ cd 1
$ darcs init
$ echo "a" > spamwiches.txt
$ darcs add spamwiches.txt
$ darcs record --author="1" --all -m"new file all about yummy spamwiches"
Finished recording patch 'new file all about yummy spamwiches'
$ cd ..
$ darcs get 1 2l
Copying patch 1 of 1... done!
Finished getting.
$ cd 2l
$ echo "b" > spamwiches.txt
$ darcs record --author="2l" --all -m"we prefer b"
Finished recording patch 'we prefer b'
$ cd ..
$ darcs get 1 2r
Copying patch 1 of 1... done!
Finished getting.
$ cd 2r
$ echo "c" > spamwiches.txt
$ darcs record --author="2r" --all -m"c is the best way to make spamwiches"
Finished recording patch 'c is the best way to make spamwiches'
$ cd ..
$ darcs get 2r 3r
Copying patch 2 of 2... done!
Finished getting.
$ cd 3r
$ echo "d" > spamwiches.txt
$ darcs record --author="2r" --all -m"c is okay, but d is the very best"
Finished recording patch 'c is okay, but d is the very best'
$ cd ..
$ darcs get 2r 3l
Copying patch 2 of 2... done!
Finished getting.
$ cd 3l
$ darcs pull ../2l

Fri Aug  5 09:58:24 ADT 2005  2l
  * we prefer b
Shall I pull this patch? (1/1) [ynWvpxqadjk], or ? for help: y
We have conflicts in the following files:
./spamwiches.txt
Finished pulling and applying.
MAIN yumyum:~/drt/3l$ cat spamwiches.txt
v v v v v v v
*************
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
$ echo "c" > spamwiches.txt
$ darcs record --author="2r" --all -m"resolve conflict between b spamwiches and c spamwiches.  c is definitely yummier"
Finished recording patch 'resolve conflict between b spamwiches and c spamwiches.  c is definitely yummier'
$ cd ..
$ darcs get 3l 4
Copying patch 4 of 4... done!
Finished getting.
$ cd 4
$ darcs pull ../3r

Fri Aug  5 09:59:22 ADT 2005  2r
  * c is okay, but d is the very best
Shall I pull this patch? (1/1) [ynWvpxqadjk], or ? for help: y
We have conflicts in the following files:
./spamwiches.txt
Finished pulling and applying.
$ cat spamwiches.txt
v v v v v v v