[darcs-users] Replace broken?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Aug 12 12:13:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 10:15:56AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Thomas> I'd say there is a 3th problem.
>
>     Thomas> 3) records a replace per file; even if the file does not
>     Thomas> have the source pattern.  I expect the 'whatsnew' to not
>     Thomas> show such items.
>
> That's arguable.  If you apply a token replace to a file that doesn't
> contain the replaced token, and later add that token to the file, you
> cannot commute those patches.  The state of the file has changed, even
> though the content has not.

Indeed, replacementes in files that aren't actually effected is a real
feature.  It allows you to more reliably do certain sorts of refactoring in
parallel with other development, since if someone add the token to these
files it'll still get changed.

On the other hand, there could be an option to not create patches for files
that are missing the token.
http://www.darcs.net