[darcs-users] deleting a repository

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 08:40:42 UTC 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 02:53, Nigel Rowe wrote:
> How about:
> (e) I think it's pointless (not useless),

I'd choose this one; it just seems wrong to have a 'release' like this
since it applies a specific workflow that surely only is relevant for a
very specific set of users.  Not to mention the extra top-level command.

> but if it scratches someone's
> itch, go ahead and impliment it.  But, make it obvious in the docs that
> it's just a convenience function for darcs push -a;rm -rf.

> My problem with trivial convenience functions, is that they conceal the
> underlying concepts.  Which increases the learning load, as it fails to
> leverage existing knowledge.

I'd go further;  the new command is going to cause confusion for people
that don't use that workflow.  I seldom create a branch for the sole
purpose of working on it and sending 100% of the patches back.  The
sending back part tends to be replaced by cherry picking.
Next to that, doing a fork of the codebase and then assuming there is just
one root-repo for the check is also an assumption that will go wrong for
a substantial number of uses.

Building this in is pointless IMO.  Just ask any cvs user if they ever
used (or even heard of) the cvs command 'release'.
I surely don't know anyone who ever used it.

> ie.
> Q. How do I delete a repo?
> A. It's just a directory, rm it.

Looks like the best solution to me.