[darcs-users] Re: Linus on Git

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Sun Aug 21 11:04:50 UTC 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 12:46, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sunday 21 August 2005 12:12, Remko Troncon wrote:
> > On 21 Aug 2005, at 10:46, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > I just can't think in a functional programming language
> >
> > If you are a good programmer with clean and 'logic' thinking, i'm
> > sure you can learn to think in it in a pretty short ammount of
> > time, given that you devote yourself to it and that you have good
> > learning material.
>
> If I have to devote myself to it; do you mean I will have a hard time
> switching back to C++ or Java programming?

Maybe.  If you switch back, you'll miss the features that C++ and Java
don't have, and you'll see the ways in which they are cumbersome and
overly verbose.

Of course, things go both ways, and there are problems which are easier
to solve in languages like Java.  But overall -- I find -- having
learned a functional language, you will always encounter situations
where you wish something was possible that just isn't there in an
imperative language, or requires two extra functions and twenty lines
of code instead of a simple expression.

This is just advertising, don't take it too serious,
-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/