[darcs-users] Re: Linus on Git

Remko Troncon remko at psi-im.org
Sun Aug 21 12:14:44 UTC 2005

Hi Thomas,

> If I have to devote myself to it; do you mean I will have a hard time
> switching back to C++ or Java programming?

Not at all. As mentioned, you will realize you miss a lot of things
and that it takes a lot longer to write what you want, but in
general, it will make your C++ and Java programming even better! I
come from a pure Java education. By day, i program both in the lowest
possible way in C (i work on bytecode interpreters), and work in a
very high level programming language (Prolog); besides that, i also
'teach' Haskell and Prolog. By night, i do quite some C++ programming
on Psi. Using all these languages, i found out that knowing how to
program in higher languages helped me in making a lot better C++ and
Java programs. And of course, it made me realize that it is a lot
harder to write quality, bug-free software in lower languages, and
that it takes a lot more time too.

I think (although i am a complete outsider) that the fact that Darcs
is written in Haskell makes that it was even able to progress so
fast, and that it wouldn't be where it is to day if it was written in
a more 'common' language.

Anyway, i don't want to do flaming, i just like to do some discussing
on the subject from time to time :-)

cheers,
Remko