[darcs-users] darcsweb - A gitweb-alike web interface for darcs

Alberto Bertogli albertogli at telpin.com.ar
Wed Aug 24 17:26:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:16:49PM +0200, Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
> I just descover darcsweb and find it very nice :-)
> I will add it to mandriva contribs soon :-)

Glad you like it =)

> however, I would make some small requests:
> + directories and files are not clearly identified as link on which we can
> click. They should be underlined (or something else) by default

I disagree with you here. Yes, the first time you use darcsweb (or gitweb,
for that matter) you don't notice inmediately that those are links (not
only files and directories, but pretty much anything in the shortlog,
summary and several places in the log, among others); however, once you
know this the interface is quite clean and nice to look at.

If every link were to be underlined or something like that, the page would
be much harder to read without real reason, because 99.9% of the time (ie.
always after the first 10 minutes you use it and realize the links) you
already know those are links.

> + darcsweb should stop darcs when a request to a page is cancelled: a
> darcs diff for example can take a lot of time and doesn't need to run if
> the user cancel is request.

I don't know how the CGI interface is supposed to let the application know
about this... so I'm open to suggestions =)

> + what "Crece desde el pueblo el futuro / crece desde el pie" mean ? can't
> it be translated in english ?

I put that when I started to code, where I was going to place the footer
option, and then it got stucked. I happen to like it, so I really have no
problem with it being there, but I agree completely it should be
configurable =)

People have sent me patches both to make the repo list text and the footer
configurable, which I will apply with some modifications (since I want
both to be optional) sometime today or tomorrow.

The text is from a song called "Crece desde el pie" (which means something
like "Grows from the foot", with "foot" here meaning the lowest part of
anything, in spanish it's used, for instance, to refer to the bottom part
of a mountain) by Alfredo Zitarrosa. The line can be translated literally
to something like "The future grows from the people / grows from the foot"
(it's a lousy translation, it's quite literal, but I think you can get the
idea).

I was listening to that song (which I happen to like a lot) when I was
thinking of a default footer, and as you can see it's very appropiate =)

Thanks,
		Alberto