[darcs-users] Pending patch name?

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Mon Dec 5 06:36:30 UTC 2005

One frustration that I often have when using darcs is that of having
to re-type a patch name or re-select a set of changes. I wonder if it
would be useful to have the patch name and description become part of
the pending patch. It seems like this would be pretty simple.

The other part, re-selecting changes, seems odd at first, but often,
when I am selecting changes, I find a typo or extraneous whitespace
that I want to fix before recording. If I have patches that I do not
want to record as part of the same patch, I need to perform the same
selection as the previous time. This seems harder, since the
un-recorded changes may change, so can't be stored in pending. I often
solve this problem with amend-record.

My problem can be solved by unrecording and re-recording or
amend-recording, I suppose, but that does not work if the test fails.
Has anyone else encountered similar problems? Is there a darcs
frontend that will allow you to do patch selection and naming
"off-line" and then invoke darcs?

Josh