[darcs-users] tag/untag how to

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Mon Dec 5 13:00:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 12:46:10PM +0100, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:03:56AM +0100, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
> >                                                                 Was the
> > "untag" command ever considered?
>
> Propagated unpulls has been debated vividly long ago.  There is
> a problem with propagating patch/tag removals.  If I have
> applied your tag and made changes and tagged again, I have
> patches/tags that depends on that tag.  If you send me an
> "untag" I can't apply it (without removing all my depending
> tags/patches), and I also can't apply any of your future
> patches that depends on the "untag".

Well. This is true if tagging is considered a "patch". Does it really
has to be so? For myself, I always viewed tagging as a way to mark
state. In this sense it can not be a patch. It's an administration. And
changes should not depend on administrative acts. I guess currently
darcs handles tagging as just different type of patch, that is why other
patches become dependant on this one. Should we then talk about
different handling for administrative actions and separating tagging
from regular patches? To me it appears perfectly logical from UI
perspective.

Oh well. I have to admit that the whole idea with building patch
dependencies seems strange to me. But the UI that darcs offers and user
experience is so far the best compared to all other systems I used. So I
really have no desire to fix what "ain't broken" :)