[darcs-users] Pending patch name?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Dec 5 17:07:25 UTC 2005

    Richard> I'll second that.  I often find that while I'm reviewing
    Richard> the changes that I've made changes that are best applied
    Richard> in more than one patch and a lot of time I need to go
    Richard> back and look at the files I changed because its not
    Richard> totally obvious from the hunk.  So I have to cancel and
    Richard> re-select.

To be honest, I don't see how you can improve much over that without a
GUI.  (By that I mean a 2D layout with checkboxes or even a radio
button for each hunk, say like the Mailman moderator interface---not
necessarily bitmap graphics.  You could implement in curses, but it's
probably easier with wxHaskell or the like.)

What I do in the interim is (1) commit early and often and use tags or
"pure dependency" patches (darcs record --ask-deps) to bind a bunch of
related changes together, (2) work in an Emacs shell buffer, which
makes navigating and copy/paste easier (doesn't need to be Emacs, of
course, but if you're an Emacs user I suppose you'll know what I'm
talking about from that).