[darcs-users] Re: [darcs #37] How do I make "unexportable" patches?

Zachary P. Landau kapheine at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 22:32:51 UTC 2005

On 12/28/05, Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> > Attached is an attempt at adding patch ignoring support.
>
> I would tend to agree, except for one thing: I'd like it to be
> possible to record the fact that I'm ignoring a given patch, much like
> a change to _darcs/prefs can either be made directly or recorded.  The
> goal, of course, is to be able to use Darcs to propagate ignorings
> between repos.

Juliusz,

Wouldn't this create an endless cycle?  Let's say you pull from a
remote repository and decide you want to ignore one of the patches
that is trying to be pulled.  So you mark it as ignored and record
that in your repository.  You then try to send/push to the remote
repository.  It is doubtful that the remote repository wants to ignore
one of its own patches, so you have to ignore the ignore.  And so on.
I might just be missing something, though :P

You can avoid the cycle by manually editing the file, but it seems
like users are going to get confused if they don't know this.

Nimrod made me realize a potential source of problems with this patch.
 If there is a patch dependency situation, I think currently we will
fail with an error about a patch not being found.  I have a few ideas
on how to handle this.  I'll have to take a look at it when I have
time.
--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine at gmail.com>