[darcs-users] darcs host binary (x86/Solaris)

Nathan Cournia cournia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 05:55:48 UTC 2005

Hi Guys,

I've been using GNU arch for over 6 months.  I like it, but my
colloboraters hate it.  It's time for a change.

I've been reading about darcs for the past 4 months.  It sounds great.
 I'm excited that scripts exists to convert a GNU arch repo into a
darcs repo.  However, there is one problem.

It sounds as if I must have a native binary for each system on which I
wish to use darcs.  Initially I thought this wouldn't be a problem
since I develop on a x86 GNU/Linux platform.  However, my files (the
"master" darcs repository) are hosted on a x86 Solaris box.  I've been
unable to find a x86 Solaris binary for either darcs or ghc.  I spent
half a day trying to bootstrap ghc with no luck. :(

So, is there a way to use darcs with only having a binary on the
client machine (in my case x86 GNU/Linux) and not having a binary on
the host machine (in my case x86 Solaris)?  Why  does darcs require a
binary on the host and systems like CVS and GNU arch do not?

Thanks.

nathan