[darcs-users] darcs host binary (x86/Solaris)

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Wed Feb 2 10:08:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 10:31:34 +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr>
wrote in message <tp3bwf5mvd.fsf at lanthane.pps.jussieu.fr>:
> Use NFS to mount the repository on the client machines, and use Darcs
> on the clients.  This will be safe against multiple simultaneous
> access.  (Darcs over NFS is safe; I don't know about Darcs over SMB.)

If you can be quite sure that there won't be simultaneous accesses,
smbfs on Linux should work. But atomic operations won't really work,
because eg. stat probably will access the cache...

I haven't really looked at the new cifs implementation, though. This
might work much better thatn smbfs and will probably even provide Unix
goodies (like device nodes etc.)

> Keep your repository on the clients, and use rsync or ssh or FTP or
> Unison or whatever to push it to the server.  This will not be safe
> against multiple access.

I'd advertise against that. Maybe sftp should work?

> Use the binary compatibility layer that Sun are so keen on advertising
> to run a statically linked Linux binary on the Solaris box.

:-)

> Write to Sun telling them that your business is dependent on Haskell,
> and you'll have to switch to Linux unless they provide a GHC binary
> for Solaris/x86.

I've heared rumors that bootstrapping haskell isn't quite easy. I
already fear building it for linux-vax at some time...

> Don't use proprietary software.

...and especially not hostile software:)

> GNU Arch doesn't, because they're smart and they did a great job of
> abstracting repository access.  (We are smart too, but our repository
> access code is a mess.)

Shouldn't sftp basically work without needing a darcs binary on the
server? I haven't used this, though...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O