[darcs-users] darcs apply does not terminate.

Michael Conrad conradme at email.uc.edu
Wed Feb 2 10:40:59 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, February 01, 2005 8:19 AM, Yamagata Yoriyuki wrote:
> Memory usage does not increase during the
> execution.  The patch comes from my coworker's repository.  Until
> today, I did development by myself, so had not used "apply" command.
> record, get commands work without problem.

You may have a large number of conflicts between your repo and your
coworker's repo.  This would cause the dreaded O(2^n) change-merging
algorithm to take forever to run.

It has been mentioned many times on the list, and David is currently working
on a better way to merge changes.  Until then, try to keep your code from
conflicting with your coworker's code.

The most common problem is when two people each add identical code to their
repos, and then try to share patches with eachother.  The worst one is when
each person adds a tree of files which have the same names.

> Unfortunately, I cannot show you a repo., since it is proprietary
> software.  Only difference from "usual cases" is that we use Japanese
> comments in patches in the repos.  (on the other hand, an applied
> patch does not contain Japanese comments) Is darcs 8-bit clean?  darcs
> version is 1.0.1

Darcs doesn't care about encoding, however if it sees NUL or EOF characters
it will decide that the file is binary.  Binary files are not "diff"ed, so
changes will not be merged.  This would be a bad thing.  You will know that
darcs is seeing a file as binary if, during 'record', it says "binary
./your/file/name" instead of showing you a "hunk ./your/file/name".  You
could also look inside the patch files.

Hope that helps.
-Mike