[darcs-users] Help - can't build darcs on Mac OSX at all

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Feb 9 03:01:12 UTC 2005

I have a new server (Fedora Core 2) and figured maybe I should look at
migrating away from cvs for my software development work.  I noticed the
Quixote folks are experimenting with darcs so I thought I'd give it a try.
I have had no end of problems trying to get a working setup.  After a bit of
messing around with yum I was able to get darcs installed on the fc2 system.

That left my development machine (Mac OSX Jaguar).  Man, what a nightmare
that's been.  The latest ghc dmg only works on Panther, so I tried
darwinports (never used that before).  That consumed a couple hours of my
time and left me with no working ghc.  I finally gave up trying to install
ghc 6.2.2 through dports and tracked down a 6.0.1 dmg for Jaguar.  Now I
have ghc.  Alas, darcs won't build.  After ./configure ; make I get

    ghc  -cpp  -package unix -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -DHAVE_CURL -c AntiMemo.lhs
    /tmp/ghc5361.lpp:1: parse error on input `#'

Can I presume that darcs requires a more recent version of ghc?  If so, I
guess I'll just go back to cvs for now.

--
Skip Montanaro
skip at mojam.com