[darcs-users] pure haskell darcs

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Feb 9 15:12:53 UTC 2005

It seems like people have a lot of build problems
on this list and that darcs doesn't work at all on
windows right now.  This both unfortunate and
unncessary.

Looking at the source, I imagine the problems come
from the vaguaries of getting Haskell to talk to C
libraries on multiple platforms.  I wonder how
hard it would be to get rid of the C code and make
darcs much more reliably buildable and portable.

I don't know the source well at all but from my
brief skim it looks like the critical bits are
hscurl and zlib_helper.

Gzip is now available in Haskell in MissingH.

I am not sure how much of libcurl's functionality
darcs uses, but it seems like the basic job of
being an HTTP client is handled by
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/warrickg/haskell/http/

Can we get rid of the C code and dramatically
simplifiy building darcs?

-Alex-