[darcs-users] Help - can't build darcs on Mac OSX at all

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Wed Feb 9 15:19:19 UTC 2005

2005-02-09T03:01:12 Skip Montanaro:
> If so, I guess I'll just go back to cvs for now.

If you're willing to go with something as radically different from
CVS as darcs is, you might want to take a peek at GNU Arch, it's
nicely portable C. No where near as clean and elegant as darcs, but
much closer to comparable power; as far as I know arch and darcs
are the two leading open source rivals to the leading proprietary
revision control systems.

The topic comes up periodically of trying to rewrite darcs in a
supported, portable language, but it hasn't gone anywhere yet;
nobody's stepped up with the required mountain of round tuits, and
given the current rapid evolution of darcs any such implementation
would require very, very aggressive and labor-intensive maintenance
to remain current.

Possibly simpler might be to try and port darcs to the portable
dialect of Haskell, using only the standard language and libs, so
that there would at least be a possibility of trying some of the
other implementations. Nobody has stepped forward with those round
tuits, either.

So for the forseeable future, don't plan on darcs unless you're
content to confine yourself to platforms where current ghc works
correctly.

-Bennett