[darcs-users] pure haskell darcs

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Feb 9 21:38:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Andre Landwehr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:12:53AM -0500, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
>> I am not sure how much of libcurl's functionality
>> darcs uses, but it seems like the basic job of
>> being an HTTP client is handled by
>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/warrickg/haskell/http/
>
> curl does a lot more protocols than just http

But does curl need to be compiled in?  Can't we do

    $ curl URL | darcs -blah

>> Can we get rid of the C code and dramatically
>> simplifiy building darcs?
>
> How would this affect memory consumption? This seems to be the
> major problem with Haskell

I am new to darcs so I don't know its memory
issues, but if we are talking about a project with
1m files and 1k of meta-data about each of those
files, that is a total of 1gb of memory.  If you
are working on a project of this size, I think you
can afford 1gb of memory!

-Alex-