[darcs-users] Re: Newbie questions

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Sun Feb 13 09:16:51 UTC 2005

On 2005-02-13, Andrew Wagner <awagner at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> 1. Subversion allows you to check out a working copy that is a subtree
> of the full repository.  It seems that this is not supported in darcs.
> Is this correct?

Correct.  Repos sliced by file name/directory location would in general
break a lot of how darcs works.

> To work with darcs in a similar fashion, it seems like we will have to
> create about (for us) ten different repositories and push/pull changes
> for them separately.  The added difficulty of keeping more repositories
> in sync will be somewhat mitigated by the (I'm hoping) much greater
> ease of creation of repositories with darcs.

Could quite well work.  Creating a repository is running "darcs init",
though you have to then add stuff.  Preserving history from your current
repository will be very tricky, if that's desirable.  There are svn <->
darcs converters, but they map complete svn branches to darcs repos.

> 2. In the most common configuration, darcs does not have a binary on
> the server.  Clients merely need to have read/write access to the files
> over some protocol, i.e. http, sftp, etc...

Not quite true.  Reading this is true.  Writing requires a binary on the
server and a way to run it, so pretty much ssh only for now.
Alternatively, full filesystem access will work.

You could also hack something up with rsync or other mirror to the
server a locally accessible repository, but getting locking to work
correctly in that case isn't totally trivial.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-