[darcs-users] Re: Newbie questions

Dmitriy Morozov darcs at foxcub.org
Mon Feb 14 03:41:24 UTC 2005

On Sunday 13 February 2005 04:16 am, Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2005-02-13, Andrew Wagner <awagner at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> > 1. Subversion allows you to check out a working copy that is a
> > subtree of the full repository.  It seems that this is not
> > supported in darcs. Is this correct?
>
> Correct.  Repos sliced by file name/directory location would in
> general break a lot of how darcs works.

How much, and how hard would it be to fix it?

I think it would be a very desirable feature (the general ability to
create a new repository out of a directory of a given repository). I
know I'd really like it, and from Andrew Wagner's message I'm seeing
that I'm not alone. Would it be possible to produce "derivative
patches" that take out everything related to the given directory from
the repository's patches, and fill the new repository with them? If
the fact that they are derivative (and who they are derived from) is
tracked properly, it should work. Or am I missing something?

Best,
Dmitriy